During hot weather the most refreshing part of your day can be coming back to a cool, crisp home. How air conditioning affects your health can have many positives. This includes regulating body temperature, avoiding heat exhaustion, and even improved breathing with the right systems. However, sometimes air conditioning can have a negative effect on your health.
Air Conditioning and Health – Negative Effects
Unless your AC system is cleaned and maintained regularly, your air conditioner can be a source of negative health issues. Contamination in your unit or ductwork can devolve into a problem that contributes to respiratory dysfunction. Additionally, air conditioning in your home or workplace can lead to a variety of problems that may include fevers, headaches, and a variety of other conditions. The top five health issues associated with air conditioners are:
- Constant fatigue – Research has shown that people who work in over air-conditioned environments can experience chronic fatigue and even headaches. People who worked in buildings that are constantly full of conditioned air can also experience constant breathing difficulties and mucous membrane irritation. The effect may leave you more vulnerable to developing colds, the flu, and other similar illnesses.
- Dry skin – Long hours spent in air-conditioned environments can cause your skin to lose moisture. Constant moisturizing can help. However, turning the air down can be even more effective if you begin to suffer from dry skin.
- Intensified chronic illness – Those of you who suffer from respiratory illnesses such as asthma can find that faulty air conditioning adds to the severity of the symptoms. Faulty air conditioning has also been linked to an increase the symptoms of arthritis, low blood pressure, neuritis, and negative effects in pain management.
- Heat sensitivity – Ever had someone who is used to extremely low air conditioner settings complain about the normal settings in your home? They have developed a heat sensitivity that makes them more intolerant of hotter temperatures. Even temperatures most people would consider cool become intolerable.
- Breathing issues – Those with sensitivity in their breathing can find an unkept air conditioner to be a major inconvenience. They can experience benefits from high-quality air filters and even certain types of air purification systems.
But Will Improving Air Quality Improve My Health?
Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to this query. We do recommend changing air filters as instructed by your owners manual. We also recommend using high quality filters, as they are worth the price . You will find this especially true if you have health or allergy issues.
Feel free to read this article from the CDC to learn more about heating, air conditioning, and ventilating in relation to health.
Be sure to consult a physician if you suspect your air conditioner is a source of negative effects on your health.
How Air Conditioning Affects Your Health in Lodi California
Blackwell Services is a locally owned company that aims to improve the air conditioning and quality of Galt, Lockford, Manteca, Stockton, and the surrounding areas. Feel free to contact us to learn more about how we can help your home or business.